Our first guest post!

12:33 Unknown 0 Comments

And here is our first guest post - from TPub intern Sola Simpson...



Hello world


I feel now is a good time to introduce myself. I'm TPub's latest abused unpaid worker intern, Sola Simpson. So far I've been here almost a month and have been keeping up a blog about my experiences on my website which I'll link later in the post.

I want to do art for comic books professionally, I have no second guesses about it. While I could have stayed at home practicing and gotten a part time job on the side I decided seeking an internship would get me valuable industry experience, even if I'm not doing art 24/7. I reached out to TPub about the possibility of an internship and (surprisingly) they got back to me. An interview and four weeks later, here we are.

I've been drawing all my life but I only started taking it seriously a couple years ago when I started making an actual effort to improve. I would get no enjoyment out of my art if I stagnated, if I'm not changing or improving in some way I feel like its been wasted time. I always want to test myself and try something new, for better or for worse.

What do I do here? Well I mostly tinker with photoshop and take way too long to finish written tasks. Inbetween all this Neil regularly offers insightful tidbits of advice that I really need to do a better job of remembering.

Now me being into comics and all you probably want to know my taste. I like to think I have really good and sophisticated taste but I know that's probably not true. In western comics Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man is a favourite, I read it in primary school and I still do now. Invincible by Robert Kirkman with Corey Walker and Ryan Ottley is another favourite for its evolving story and wonderfully violent artwork. Although I've not finished either of them Lazarus and The Fade Out from Image Comics have both been on the top of my pile every time a new trade comes out. I've read a lot less manga than I have western comics but the few that I have read have really stood out in my mind as amazing creations. I enjoy Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for its neverend camp and creativity. Akira, Berserk and Vagabond all have some of the best art you'll see in the medium with good stories to boot. I could stare at those books for hours and not get bored.

I'll be around updating things on the blog from time to time, and you may see me at a convention sometime soon. My plan is to share what I learn during the internship and share interesting facts about work behind the scenes. I hope you'll learn with me!

Here you can find my instagram and my (unfinished) website.

- Sola Simpson




Stay tuned for more posts from Sola and what he's learnt in the internship... 

0 comments :